Hey y’all. I’m a little late I know, but better late than never. April was pretty busy and the weather was so weird. It went from freezing to blazing hot outside and back to freezing again. I couldn’t keep up. I definitely prefer cooler months and April was supposed to be one of those; I wasn’t ready for almost 90 degree weather. Thank goodness we got a bit of a reprieve from it though, but I will more than likely be complaining in the upcoming months about the heat. Anyways, here is the stuff that got me through this month.
- Naked Flushed in Streak by Urban Decay. I was in need of a new all over bronzer and I got this right on time. This definitely isn’t for contouring, but it’s perfect for that all over glow. I like to put this on over my contour or in place of my contour and it looks so flattering. I’ve also been applying this on the bottom of my nose, just where the sun would naturally hit. I really like the way it’s been looking. I like the highlighter in this set but I think it would be a lot more flattering on darker skin tones. I like a more icy glow and not so warm. So of course I apply this and then add another two highlighters on top. The blush is okay, but I’m not super impressed with it. Lately, I’ve been using my drugstore milani blush over this one.
- NYX Loose Pearl Eye Shadow in pale pearly pink. Yeah I just use this as my highlighter. Totally unconventional and more than likely unnecessary but I can’t stop with the glow. I’m sorry if y’all are annoyed with my non-stop talk about highlighting but, UGH I can’t stop. I use this on top of my other two highlighters and I really feel like this tops the look off. “Living, dying, breathing, sneezing, for the GLOW” (Calling all Jaclyn Hill lovers)!
- Peachy themed makeup. I mentioned this in my “Spring Makeup” post and I’ve been non-stop wearing this look. I love the orangey-peach vibes; the colors really make my blue eyes and my blue hair pop.
- My blue/teal hair. So as y’all know, I have pretty short hair. When I cut my hair, I decided to hand the reins over to my mom (aka hair stylist) and let her have fun with my hair. She likes to call my hair, hers. We knew we wanted to do color since it’s so easy with short hair, and blue hair has literally always been a dream of mine. Last summer when we messed around with color, we couldn’t find a good blue that wouldn’t totally destroy my hair. So when Goldwell came out with their Elumen vivids line (Color Chart check out page six) we knew we wanted our hands on them. So my mom bleached my hair and then deposited Goldwell “Elumen Tq@all” and then toned it with my usual toner Goldwell Topchic 12BS. She did a sort of “melt” which is what Guy Tang typically does. I’d say she did a pretty great job. I also knew that I wanted this cut to be different. I had been having some troubles with the back of my hair and it not laying right on my neck, so I told her to just take it all off. She did a fade and I love it, so much easier to manage.
- Cleopatra by The Lumineers. Y’ALL. I am obsessed with this album. It’s the perfect summer music and it’s just ugh, such good jams. Give it a listen.
- Wilder Mind by Mumford & Sons. Also obsessed with this. How can you not love Mumford?
- Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon. If y’all have ever seen the movie Bubble Boy, then you’ll know a little something about the disease that the main character suffers. This is obviously so much better, but I still couldn’t help but think of that movie while reading this. I really did love this book. The main character is funny and I felt connected to her. She is so unique. I really recommend giving this a read. “Sometimes you do things for the right reasons and sometimes for the wrong ones and sometimes it’s impossible to tell the difference.”
- Ten Thousand Skies Above by Claudia Gray. I mentioned the first book of this series in my last monthly favorites post and y’all, I freaking love these books. I can’t wait for the third installment to come out. If you love the idea of parallel dimensions I highly recommend giving this a read.“I’ve been afraid for my own life before. It’s terrible—a cold knot in your gut, your heart hammering at your ribs. Movies show people panicking and screaming like idiots. In reality, it’s nothing like that. When you fear for your life, you’re overcome by this ghastly clarity. You calculate your odds every instant. You invent options and see possibilities you wouldn’t have considered at any other time. You realize as never before that your life is the only thing that is absolutely, truly yours. There is strength within us that we can’t even comprehend until it’s called upon. We are, at our core, built to survive.
Worse by far is being afraid for someone else. We can face our own risks with an unbelievable calmness. Risks to the people we love? They turn us stupid. Drive us mad. Fear and hope take turns telling us lies, each more improbable than the last. Our imagination kills the one we love in our mind, over and over again, and we have to witness. Yet somehow even that isn’t as unbearable as the foolishness of hope. It’s hope that makes us believe in miracles that haven’t come to pass. Hope that crushes us with the unbearable truth.”
- I’ve really been trying to stay super positive lately, it’s better for my mental health and it just takes so much energy to be negative. I still make jokes about my existential dread and whatnot but I really am trying to be more positive. Life is too freaking short to be negative all the time. So here’s a few quotes that I’ve really loved this month.
“If we surround ourselves with people who are successful, who are forward-moving, who are positive, who are focused on producing results, who support us, it will challenge us to be more and share more. If you can surround yourself with people who will never let you settle for less than you can be, you have the greatest gift that anyone can hope for.” -Anthony Robbins, Unlimited Power, p. 408
“So often I worry that I will lose my softness, for there is so much in this world that fills me with rage” Source
“WE HAVE ALL BEEN PLACED ON THIS EARTH TO DISCOVER OUR OWN PATH, AND WE WILL NEVER BE HAPPY IF WE LIVE SOMEONE ELSE’S IDEA OF LIFE.” -Unknown
Hope everyone had a great April and that y’all didn’t let the stress of exams crush you! Make May the best May you can!